About Nashville Biosciences (NashBio):
NashBio’s business harnesses a unique genetic database linked to de-identified electronic medical records (EMRs) with years of longitudinal clinical data. The dataset is the largest and highest quality of its kind, providing an unprecedented opportunity to glean valuable clinical & genomic insights to accelerate the discovery & development of new drugs & diagnostics. The business has a wide range of offerings relevant to biopharma and diagnostics companies, resulting in accelerated and more productive R&D. The company is revenue-generating with a business model focused in two areas:
- Leveraging the genomic-linked EMR database to provide R&D insights to biopharma, diagnostics and other life science customers through a consulting model
- Formation of biotech spinouts based on proprietary biological insights derived from the database
NashBio is currently seeking an experienced executive for a full time role as Chief Scientific Officer. The successful candidate will be responsible for management of scientific staff, delivery of R&D consulting services and development of attractive concepts for potential spinout based on internal analysis of the database. He/she will have significant biopharma and/or diagnostics experience, excel in an early-stage environment and be comfortable interfacing with academic partners. Additionally, this person will have a strong grasp of human genetics and bioinformatics, the ability to communicate complex biomedical concepts to clients and colleagues and a strong entrepreneurial spirit.
- Articulate and advance the scientific strategy of the company
- Manage scientific team of genomics, clinical and data scientists to deliver client-ready R&D insights from a large database of de-identified clinical records and genotypes
- Recruit and develop the scientific staff that does the analyses for consulting projects
- Iterate on potential new outputs from the database for consulting purposes and interface with Vanderbilt University Medical Center researchers to drive areas of new development, including improvements to the database itself
- Develop standards, processes, tools and algorithms for creating outputs with significant biological insight
- Drive database mining efforts: utilize appropriate algorithms and statistical models to uncover commercially compelling gene-disease relationships and other potentially valuable insights from the database
- Support the packaging of such insights into biotech spinouts (e.g., by identifying attractive compounds, determining scientific steps to validate and translate insights, etc.) through collaborations with biopharma or diagnostics companies, venture capital firms and other partners to create development companies
- Contribute scientific expertise and credibility to business development efforts
- Support business development team by building and maintaining high-level contacts with current and prospective customers and other business partners
- Participate ad hoc on the NashBio Board of Directors
- Engage and leverage NashBio Scientific Advisory Board to support above
- More than seven years of relevant work experience
- Medical degree and/or advanced degree in human genetics, genomics, computer science or bioinformatics; candidate must show a strong mix of clinical knowledge and analytical ability
- Previous experience with research & development for a pharma, biotech or other similar life science companies
- Comfort with large dataset manipulation and analysis
- Strong understanding of biology and genetics, especially as they relate to human disease processes, pharmacology, drug-protein interactions, signaling pathways, etc.
- Experience commercializing technology from academia and comfort working with academic institutions
Critical competencies for success:
- Strategic Scientific Leadership – Proven ability to develop the overarching strategy for a research-driven organization that is at a pivotal stage of organizational maturation, through the creation of a compelling vision of the organization’s scientific and clinical platform and approach, gaining buy-in with relevant stakeholders and establishing concrete milestones that map to the stated objectives
- Demonstrated Results – Ability to point to examples of having delivered outstanding results, such as by successfully developing drug candidates or therapeutic products that were ultimately commercialized, developing and commercializing new analytic solutions or service offerings, introducing improvements to R&D processes or operations, or devising novel solutions to problems that constrained R&D and, therefore, the business.
- Management Capability – Experience building a world-class organization in a highly collaborative environment marked by collegial and synergistic interaction among independent groups by cultivating top-tier research talent, creating a culture of collaboration with a variety of stakeholders and by inspiring and motivating others to take on challenges and realize opportunities. Proven ability to create mechanisms and structures that encourage interdisciplinary initiatives, joint investments and other cooperative efforts is of particular value.
- Communicator – strong written and oral communicator able to synthesize complicated scientific and clinical concepts to both scientific and business audiences
- Startup mindset – comfortable building an early stage company with willingness to grow and adapt quickly as the company changes
- Collaborator – very comfortable leading and working within multi-disciplinary teams across multiple simultaneous projects
- Creativity – comfortable developing new business strategies and adapting to the needs of the client
- Intellectually curious – interested in digging deeply into non-intuitive findings to extract meaning, while remaining focused on the question at hand
The position will be based in Nashville, TN.
Interested applicants should email resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org
We are an exciting biotech startup that is fundamentally changing drug discovery & development processes in biopharma. We are a spinout from Vanderbilt University Medical Center and are the only company of its kind that leverages years of rich longitudinal clinical data and genomic information of hundreds of thousands of individuals to address pressing R&D questions for our clients in the biopharmaceutical and diagnostics industries. We leverage this massive databank, along with unique computational methods developed at VUMC, to offer a range of precision medicine services.